Current Gaming Projects

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Empty Chair - Bill Nardin - RIP

Today, I have been informed that a follow gamer from St. Louis, MO, that I have known for twenty years has passed away on 11/21/11, after being shot in the chest in a case of ‘road rage’ while traveling through Texas with his wife. I will not comment about the incident as I only know what was published in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch news.

 
Bill was a master painter and kit-basher when it came to miniatures. I never ceased to be amazed at some of his work, especially his 1/285th scale Bosnian city that was built as a table top exercise device for the USMC Reserves in several events (which, I also had a fun time being a part of that training.) I know that he will be sorely missed within the St. Louis and other miniature gaming circle.

 
Bill’s website

http://commandoperationscenter.com/


Below is a poem that has periodically shown up in a RPG comic, “The Knights of the Diner Table,” which is a eulogy for a lost gamer. I don’t believe anyone has ever been given credit for writing it, so I don’t know who the author is to give credit. While it is for a role-player, I think it also speaks true for all gamers.


The Empty Chair

Eulogy for a Gamer



There is an empty chair,

at the table this day.

A hallowed place where,

a friend once played.

The roll of his dice,

my ears long to hear.


Or perhaps it would suffice,

if he should suddenly appear.

With character sheet in hand,

and a bag of Cheeze-doodles to share.

All his friends would stand,

as he sat in the empty chair.
I hear his voice a-callin’,
and it ties my heart in a knot.


For he cries, “Though a comrade has fallen,

You must play for those who cannot.”

We conquered worlds on the run,

he and I in the name of fun.

And as others may come and go,

I make both both friend and foe.

But what I long for most,

is our past now long a ghost.

2 comments:

Dangerous Brian said...

Very sad news Joe. Hope your feeling okay.

sapperjoe said...

Thanks, Brian