Current Gaming Projects

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The 2013's Spring Recruits Convention and Other News


Well, I am back from the spring Recruits convention in Lee Summit, MO, and sad to say that this might be the last one.  Dwayne who was the driving force behind the scenes has decided to retire after doing an excellent job of putting on two Recruits conventions a year for all of the 12 years.  There was a meeting held in the late afternoon about the future of Recruits, but I was not able to attended to say if there was any takers for the job.  Even if some did step up and said that they will run the conventions, we will have to wait and see if they really do follow through.  I hope they do as it is a nice little convention.

One thing that you will notice is the small number of pictures taken of the convention by me (actually below is ALL of the pictures.)  Long story as short as I can get it, I forgot my camera and left it in Georgia.  Plus, half of the pictures I took with my cell phone where so blurry that I deleted them.  Also somehow, I took a 30 minute video of the inside of my pocket which killed the battery.  Luckily, I had my cords to recharge the phone, but I was without it for almost most of the day.

Anyway, Steve H., Dave S., and I rode up Saturday really early in the morning from St Louis and arrived to sign in before the first gaming secession.  Curtis T. and Alan rode up the night before and played in a game Friday night and met us for breakfast.  We stayed for the first & second secessions, but Curtis and Allen stayed for the third.  I did not get in a game for the first secession, but got in a couple of pick-up games of ‘Love Letters’ card game with the AEG’s rep, whom I have personally known for over 20 years.  While the subject matter is different for my usual gaming taste, it is a very smooth and well thought out game and quite enjoyable.  It is part of a trilogy of games put out by AEG that revolves around a Renaissance court using the same city, characters, and story arc.

The afternoon secession, the five of us played in a WWII East Front game using 15mm figures, called The “First Tank Battle: Olita!”  It was an interesting game; however there were too many gamers in it.  So the game sort of dragged on with too much idle time, but that cannot be blamed on the GM.  He even stated that he was not expecting that many players, but didn’t want to seem rude by turning some away.

The one game that really got my attention was "Blunder at Turtle Creek", a French & Indian War game.  It is the second picture down.  The  reason that it really got my attention is that the figures that the game master is using are limited edition collector's pieces from John Jenkins Designs.  The figures normally go for $20-$30 each when they are first release and only go up in value as they go out of print!  You are looking at about $1200+ in figures just in that picture alone and that is not counting the ones outside of the picture!  He is a braver man than I am.

Before showing the pictures, on Sunday, I was able to inventory another book case and a half, move several items around so next weekend when I am back at home; I can paint another large section on my bedroom.  I am getting closer and closer to being finished, yea!

Sapper

A generic photo of the con
Blunder at Turtle Creek
Down on the Farm - 1970's Rhodesia
Battle of the Bugle
Battle of the Bugle
Assault on Station Zwei - Dust Warfare Demo
War of the Roses - Battle of Bosworth
The Thin Line in the Fulda Gap   
A game that I didn't get the name of, but that I really like the board
Another game that I did not get the name for but I also like the board
Yep, one more game that I liked the board, but didn't get the name

2 comments:

Pete. said...

Nice pics- always liked the sound of a US con- more games orientated (participation not demo) than those on this side of the pond, which seems to be used as meet ups and shopping trips, not that there is anything wrong with either....

Cheers,

Pete.

sapperjoe said...

I sort of like the idea of having some demo games at a con where you can stop the "game" and ask questions about the rules, the miniature, the period, etc. without being disruptive as in a participation game. Sadly, I can tell you of several times that I had to cut someone short trying to be friendly and asking about a gaming I was in because it was a participation game.

Sapper