Current Gaming Projects

Monday, July 15, 2013

Solo Board Games: 'Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies' and 'We Must Tell the Emperor'

This is sort of an odd coincidence that I would be publishing this blog entry when you read my next one!

Anyways, I found a board game company that has several solo board games based on various topics called Victory Point Games (website).  I ordered several of the games a couple weeks back and got them this Saturday.  I also picked up one of their out-of-print games on eBay ("We Must Tell the Emperor") which I also got Saturday.  

If you click on the names of the games, it will take you to their respective Board Game Geek entries. I played around with only two of them so far, "We Must Tell the Emperor" and "Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies".  I had a hoot with both of them!  Very easy games, only took 2 hours at most for a game.  If you are into solo gaming, they are well worth the cost.

In "We Must Tell the Emperor", you play the Japanese in WWII and must try to marshal your resources and chose which Allied Army Front to fight and try to push back.  In my first game, I failed to keep Nimtiz's Front in check and he pushed to far inwards, but I had destroyed the ABDA Front, and pushed both MacArthur and the British all the way back and had several attempts to try to deliver a Knock Out Attack and destroy both of them, and the Chinese were pushed pretty far back.  Then the Mid-War started to occur and things where starting to turn ugly.  Then late war broke out and things really got ugly!  The game end with Japan defeated (barely! I only had two more turns to go for a draw and I was still looking good for my resources) with the British Front pushing into the Home Islands.  But all of the other fronts were right there too, so I doubt that I could have held on anyway.  Man, I hated that B-29 fire bombing event card!


In "Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies" you play the crew of several B-52 bombers flying into the USSR to drop your nuclear payload and fly back home.  This was a complete hoot as it is heavily influenced by one of my all time favorite movies, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.  I keep humming "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" as I cruised in to bomb the Rooskies.  It has almost inspired me to go looking for a 1/600 or a 1/1200 scale B-52 bomber to paint up for the marker.  Oh, and there is even a Survival Kit card!



 Just by also a weird coincidence, I discovered that next Strategy & Tactics magazine (#283) will feature a board game called, "Fail Safe."  I might have to break down and buy that game. 

Cheers

Sapper

No comments: