Current Gaming Projects

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Short Update

In the comments in my last entry, I was asked about my 15mm Congo Crisis project and I will do a future entry hopefully next week about what figures I am going to use and etc. after I see if the paint is going to stick to my m/42 APC from Shapeways.  I did the chemical baths and let them dry off and spray painted them today.  I am waiting for that to dry and am going to try to see if the paint is adhering to the FUD material.  If so, I am going to try to paint up one and include it with the post on the 15mm Congo project.

Besides that, I had votes to continue reading about the Russian Civil War, which was what I was leaning to anyways, but there are some many "Oh, shiny!" topics that I want to read.  Actually, I could have read about Roy Chapman Andrews as part of the RCW as he worked to support the US Military Intelligence Division of gathering information on Mongolia & China during the last years of the RCW, and also visited Siberia around 1919 as an officer of the US Navy Intelligence....hmmm, US Navy dinosaur hunter in Siberia with frozen woolly mammoths...just thinking out loud here.

Anyways, so I am continue my reading on the Russian Civil War about the 'Mad' Baron von Ungern-Sternberg.  Extremely interesting character to say the least.  I plan to read two period biographies about him and the author who served with him after my current book.  One by his Chief of Intelligence, Ferdynand Antoni Ossendowski (an extremely interesting character in his own right too!), called Men, Beasts, and Gods.  The second one will be by a Major that served in one of his units, Dmitri Alioshin, called Asian Odyssey.

I got to go, but I will end on a quote by Baron von Ungern-Sternberg about how interesting this subject is going to be to read.

Cheers,

Sapper

"My name is surrounded with such hate and fear that no one can judge what is true and what is false, what is history, and what is myth."

2 comments:

Pete. said...

I'll be interested to hear what you make of the book Joe- Bloody White Baron is one I've had in my reading pile for ages but not got round to.

Cheers,

Pete.

sapperjoe said...

Pete,

I am about 34% of the way through the book (probably more as the Kindle includes everything in the index, footnotes, etc.) I am really enjoying the book. The guy is actually pretty amazing. Recklessly brave is no understatement. In one case during the RCW, him, a Cossack soldier, and impressed train employee disarmed about 200 revolting soldiers!

Sapper